Thursday, July 6, 2017

Stop Marring Your Wood: How to Make Leather Holdfast Pads for Woodworking

​​​​​​​

  • I'm a huge fan of having a few rows of dog holes in my workbench top. And, more than anything else, I use them to secure a holdfast - an ancient and genius piece of design that secures your work to the work surface with a simple tap from a hammer or mallet. When your ready to release it, just hit the back and it's free. Seriously - it's ten times fast than clamping, and you can fasten your work anywhere across the bench top. Brilliant.To speed up the process even more, I wanted to come up with a permanent way to protect the wood from the force of the steel being banged into it. You can use a hardwood scrap between the holdfast and the workpiece, but I figured there's reason to spend twenty minutes once and protect my work forever. No digging around for scraps required. 

Continue reading on ManMadeDIY.com



source http://www.manmadediy.com/users/chris/posts/4655-stop-marring-your-wood-how-to-make-leather-holdfast-pads-for-woodworking

No comments:

Post a Comment