Monday, August 28, 2017

7 Idioms, Adages, and Classic Sayings That Are Actually Pretty Good Pieces of Advice

You know the ones. Those classic, advice-supplying stock phrases that might be from Shakespeare but could be a religious text and/or folk wisdom, yet we all seem to absorb nonetheless. Those simple, stock phrases that are always shared by well-meaning people in sometimes appropriate, but often in irrelevant situations that don't actually apply.

But, I suspect that we all have a few of these things that actually do make sense to us. True, "a penny saved is a penny earned," doesn't really resonate with or motivate me. But I know it's a code that many people honestly organize their lives around. Nor do I agree that you should "never go to bed angry." In my experience, nothing gets truly resolved when you're both worn out; and sometimes, eight hours of rest is exactly what you need for both of you to realize you got triggered, but you still love each other and the new day is a fresh start. In my view, the better aphorism should be "never have a hard conversation after 9:00pm," because, seriously, no one is at their best when you're exhausted.

But there are a few of these sayings – some old chestnuts and some a bit more contemporary – that I really do say to myself often, and they work for me. So, these are the ones I keep around, and perhaps they'll be helpful to you, too. I'd love to hear which ones motivate you as well.… Continue reading on ManMadeDIY.com



source http://www.manmadediy.com/users/chris/posts/4684-7-idioms-adages-and-classic-sayings-that-are-actually-pretty-good-pieces-of-advice

No comments:

Post a Comment